Today is the 400th anniversary of the birth of John Milton, born in 1608 in the City of London. There is much in the news today about this event, so I am just adding to the mix:
- -visit the Guardian.uk to hear Philip Pullman read a short excerpt from Paradise Lost; the Guardian also has a Milton Quiz, a blog post on Milton vs. Shakespeare, and a comment by Terry Eagleton on Milton the dissident.
- -head over to Dartmouth’s Milton Reading Room, a great resource with text of poems, some prose and select literary criticism.
- -the Milton-L Homepage
- -John Milton and Seventeenth Century Culture, a site of the University of South Carolina Dept. of Rare Books and Special Collections [Thomas Cooper Library], site last updated June 2002
- -the John Milton Chronology
- -his works at Bartleby.com
- -Milton Cottage : Milton’s home and Museum in Buckinghamshire, UK
- -Events and celebrations at Christ’s College, Cambridge; also see the site of the Milton Quatercentenary: events in the UK posted by the Cambridge University Library [events throughout 2008, so many have already passed]